Veterans Affairs

The Office of Veterans Affairs serves all veterans and their family members within Camden County. This office is available Monday through Friday to give assistance to all our veterans and dependents. If you have any questions regarding our services, please call (856) 374-5801.


(click the titles below for more information)

Assistance in Establishing VA Eligibility Qualification for all VA Programs for Veterans and Family Members.
Information Regarding Applying for VA Education Programs
  • Click here to Apply Online
  • Apply in Person. Visit your nearest VA regional office. to apply in person.Apply in Person. Visit your nearest VA regional office. to apply in person.
  •  Apply at School. Consult with your School Certifying Official, who can help you apply.
  •  Apply by Mail. Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.
VA Home Loan Guarantee, certificates and booklets

Apply Online

Click here to Apply 

To get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) online, please go to the eBenefits portal. If you already have login credentials, click the Login box, and if you need login credentials, please click the Register box and follow the directions on the screen. If you need any assistance please call the eBenefits Help Desk at 1-800-983-0937. Their hours are Monday-Friday, 8am to 8pm EST.

Apply through your lender.
Most lenders have access to the Web LGY system. This Internet-based application can establish eligibility and issue an online COE in a matter of seconds. Not all cases can be processed through Web LGY – only those for which VA has sufficient data in our records. However, Veterans are encouraged to ask their lenders about this method of obtaining a certificate.

Apply by mail.

Use VA Form 26-1880, Request for Certificate of Eligibility.

Disability Compensation for Service Disabled Veterans.

The office of Camden County Veteran affairs assists veterans and their families with completing claims for submission regarding service related disabilities. 

VA Pensions for Low-income, Non-service Disabled War Veterans and their Widows that Meet the Pension Criteria.


Generally, a Veteran must have at least 90 days of active duty service, with at least one day during a wartime period to qualify for a VA Pension. If you entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally you must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions), with at least one day during a wartime period.

In addition to meeting minimum service requirements, the Veteran must be:

  • Age 65 or older, OR
  • Totally and permanently disabled, OR
  • A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
  • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
  • Receiving Supplemental Security Income

Your yearly family income must be less than the amount set by Congress to qualify for the Veterans Pension benefit. Learn more about income and net worth limitation, and see an example of how VA calculates the VA Pension benefit.

For more information regarding this benefit please visit or call your local Veteran Affairs.

Assist in Applying for Medical Benefits

Basic Eligibility for VA Health Care

If you served in the active military, naval or air service and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits.  Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty also may be eligible for VA health care. For more information please follow the link

If you are not currently enrolled, you may apply online at or by calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387). You may also apply for enrollment in person at your local VA medical facility. Only Veterans enrolled in the VA health care system may receive a Veteran Health Identification Card. A useful tool to see possible eligibility is checking which priority group you are currently in. To find out which group you are in follow the link

Burial Benefits: Plot and Burial Allowance, Headstone, Grave Markers and Veteran’s Cemeteries Information.

Under the current regulations, VA pays for burial and funeral expenses on a reimbursement basis, which requires survivors to submit receipts for relatively small one-time payments that VA generally pays at the maximum amount permitted by law.

The new burial regulations will permit VA to pay, at a flat rate, burial and plot or interment allowances thereby enabling VA to automate payment of burial benefits to most eligible surviving spouses and more efficiently process other burial benefit claims.

The burial allowance for a non-service-connected death is $300, and $2,000 for a death connected to military service.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You paid for a Veteran’s burial or funeral, AND
  • You have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased Veteran’s employer, AND
  • The Veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, AND 
    • The Veteran died because of a service-related disability, OR
    • The Veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death, OR
    • The Veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay, OR
    • The Veteran died while hospitalized by VA, or while receiving care under VA contract at a non-VA facility, OR
    • The Veteran died while traveling under proper authorization and at VA expense to or from a specified place for the purpose of examination, treatment, or care, OR
    • The Veteran had an original or reopened claim pending at the time of death and has been found entitled to compensation or pension from a date prior to the date or death, OR
    • The Veteran died on or after October 9, 1996, while a patient at a VA-approved state nursing home.

For more information regarding eligibility or unanswered questions please refer to the following link.

Burial Within the County as Well as at the State Veteran Cemetery
Camden County is partnered with Harleigh Cemetery for veterans and their families who wish to have their final resting place be in the County. For more information you can contact Harleigh Cemetery at 856-963-3500. For veterans who wish to be buried at General Doyle in Wrightstown which is New Jersey’s State veteran Cemetery the contact number is 609-758-7250.
Information Provided for GI Insurance.
For information regarding Veteran life insurance that can be obtained after a service member ends their enlistment follow the link
Agent Orange Information and Referral
Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange. Veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange or other herbicides during military service may be eligible for a variety of VA benefits, including disability compensation for diseases associated with exposure. Your dependents and survivors also may be eligible for benefits. If the veteran feels they were exposed to Agent Orange and meets the criteria established by the Department of Veteran Affairs they can contact our office to submit a claim. For more information regarding this matter please follow the link
Discharge Re-placement & Ordering Service/Medical Records
To obtain a copy of the veteran’s discharge or service records a standard 180 VA form must be completed and can either be submitted to the office of Veteran Affairs in Blackwood or mailed to 
National Personnel Records Center1 Archives DriveSt. Louis, Missouri 63138.
The following link allows for you to complete it and print the Standard 180 form

Ordering Medals/Awards and Formally Presenting when Possible
When the veteran or their next of kin is looking to replace lost medals they would need to complete a standard form 180 and can contact our office, apply online at or send the completed form to 
National Personnel Records Center1 Archives DriveSt. Louis, Missouri 63138.

Referral Agent for Social Service Agencies
Our office provides referrals for the social services within Camden County for our veterans. Depending on the needs of the veteran please see the attached list of numbers that may be of assistance. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office at 856-374-5801 in Blackwood. 
File for Discharge Upgrades, when Warranted
For any veteran who wishes to apply for a discharge upgrade they must complete a form DD 293 attached is a link explaining the process
Link for the DD-293 form

Veterans Liaison to the USS Battleship New Jersey
If you have any questions or are looking to find out more information about having an event on the Battleship New Jersey please feel free to contact our office at 856-374-5801 in Blackwood.
Coordinate a Veterans Speakers Bureau, for Schools, Churches, Social, Civic Organizations where Veterans Share their Military History
Our office is continually working with our community to strengthen and enhance the knowledge and appreciation for our veterans and their service and sacrifices. If your organization is interested in having a veteran speak please feel free to contact our office at 856-374-5801. Our office will work with our veteran community to see how we can assist in this request. 
Coordinate Sen-Han Authorization for Transportation for Eligible Veterans
Our office assists in verifying a veteran’s status so if they meet the criteria they can obtain transportation through the Sen-Han transportation program. 
Gold Star Family Support and Referrals
Our office is dedicated to our veterans and their families. For the families of veterans who were killed in action our office offers support and referrals. Our office offers to include the families of fallen veterans to all our events held throughout the year. The referrals include assisting in bringing together fellow gold star families. Provide information regarding scholarships for gold star families when the criteria is met.
Issuing of Flags and Markers for Cemeteries for Memorial Day
The office of Veteran Affairs of Camden County is honored to assist the cemeteries of our County by issuing flags and markers to be placed on every veteran’s grave. If you wish to obtain more information please contact our office at 856-374-5801. 


Recent News and Updates



1-800-464-VETS (8387)

If you have any questions regarding our services, please call (856) 374-5801 or 1-800-464-VETS (8387).


Ted Gallagher


  • Wolverton Library, 3rd Floor 200 College Drive, Blackwood, NJ 08012
  • (856) 374-5801
  • (856) 374-5302
  • Maps & Directions

Melinda Kane


See Profile