(Camden, NJ) – The deadline for applications for rental assistance under the Camden County Rental Assistance Program is just days away. All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 8 in order to be considered for approval.
The Freeholder Board launched the program in October with the goal of supporting renters at risk of losing their homes or facing an eviction threat due to lost employment or income caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program makes available up to six months of back rent (April 2020 through September 2020) for a maximum of $4,000. While tenants apply to take part in the program, payments will be made directly to landlords.
“Because this program utilizes CARES Act funding, we have to meet strict deadlines set by Congress in order to spend the funds we’ve been appropriated. If you are a renter who is eligible to take part in the program, submit your application as soon as possible and do not delay,” said Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli, Jr. “Renters are facing a very real crisis as back rent and penalties pile up after losing jobs or income through no fault of their own. This program is not a panacea, but the assistance has already lifted a significant amount of the burden from families throughout our community.”
Nearly 600 residents in municipalities across the county have already applied for $2.3 million in rental assistance.
In order to qualify for Rental Assistance Program, tenants must meet the following eligibility and rules:
- Tenants cannot earn more than 80% of Average Area Median Income (AMI);
- Income limits by household size:
- 1-person, $54,150
- 2-person, $61,150
- 3-person, $69,600
- 4-person, $77,300
- 5-person, $83,500
- 6-person, $89,700
- Applicants will be required to provide proof of loss/reduction in employment or income;
- No duplication of funds will be permitted – apartments/landlords which are funded under the State’s tenant assistance program or Section 8 are not eligible;
- Landlords must agree to waive late fees and penalties accrued from April 2020 to September 2020; and
- Lease must have begun prior to 3/1/2020.
Applications for the program will be awarded on a first come, first served basis. To apply, visit:www.CamdenRentGrant.com. For any questions about the program call (833) 487-0462.