(Lindenwold, NJ) – Freeholder Barbara Holcomb, liaison to the Camden County Department of Public Works, has been informed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) that the Route 42 southbound ramps to and from Creek Road will be closed and detoured overnight this week as the Missing Moves project between I-295 and Route 42, advances in Bellmawr.
“This is an ongoing project which will require periodic closures over multiple evenings,” Holcomb said. “Motorists should be aware of how these detours may effect their route and plan accordingly. As always, when driving through a construction zone be extra cognizant of changing traffic patterns, sudden stops, and any crews, debris, or vehicles which may end up in the roadway.”
Beginning at 8 p.m. tonight, Tuesday, May 12 until 5 a.m. Wednesday, May 13, again from 8 p.m. Wednesday, May 13, until 5 a.m. Thursday, May 14, NJDOT’s contractor, South State, Inc., is scheduled to close the Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Creek Road and the ramp from Creek Road to Route 42 southbound. The closures are necessary to relocate gas lines in preparation for bridge demolition.
The following detours will be in place:
Route 42 southbound Exit 14 ramp to Creek Road detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 42 southbound wishing to take Exit 14 to Creek Road will be directed to continue on Route 42 southbound
- Take Exit 12/CR 544 to Rt 41 – Deptford/Woodbury/Runnemede
- Stay right and follow signs to Rt 41/CR 544 east – Runnemede/Glassboro
- Follow CR 544 east/Clements Bridge Road
- Turn right on Route 41 southbound
- Stay right and take the ramp Route 42 northbound
- Take Exit 14/Creek Road
- Turn left on Edgewood Road back to Creek Road
Creek Road ramp to Route 42 southbound detour:
- Motorists wishing to get on Route 42 southbound from Creek Road will be directed to continue on Creek Road eastbound
- Turn right onto Edgewood Road
- Turn right onto Leaf Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 northbound.
- Take Exit 1C/Market Street
- Make a left onto Market Street
- Make a right onto the ramp for Route 76 eastbound which becomes Route 42 southbound
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. This phase of the project will begin overnight tonight and continue throughout this week. The majority of the project will be built off of the roadways and will have minimal impact on traffic on Route 42 and I-295. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable messaging signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. NJDOT will provide information before any lane closures are scheduled.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information websitewww.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow the department on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.