(Lindenwold, NJ) – Freeholder Barbara Holcomb, liaison to the Camden County Department of Public Works, has been informed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) that the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 will continue to be closed and detoured overnight this week as the Missing Moves project between I-295 and Route 42, advances in Bellmawr.
Beginning at 9 p.m. tonight, Monday, May 4, until midnight, contractors for NJDOT will close one lane on the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 and maintain alternating traffic between Booth Drive and Essex Avenue in order to remove and relocate gas lines in preparation for bridge demolition. Later tonight, between midnight until 5 a.m. Tuesday, May 5, the Creek Road Bridge will be closed completely and detoured. Access will be maintained for local residents and businesses.
“This is a nightly project that will continually close the same stretches of roadway for multiple evenings,” Holcomb said. “Motorists should be aware of how these closures will impact their route and plan accordingly. Even overnight, road closures can cause sudden stops and shifting traffic patterns. Motorists should be extra cognizant of vehicles, crews, and debris that may end up in the roadway when traveling through the construction area.”
This pattern of alternating traffic followed by a full closure of the Creek Road Bridge will continue nightly, Monday through Friday, through Friday, May 8. There also may be overnight single lane closures on I-295 northbound and southbound near the Creek Road Bridge.
The following signed detour will be in place Monday through Friday from midnight until 5 a.m.:
Creek Road westbound detour:
- Motorists traveling westbound on Creek Road will be directed to take a left onto Edgewood Avenue
- Take a right onto Leaf Avenue
- Take the ramp onto Route 42 north which becomes I-76 north
- Take exit 1C/Route 130 southbound
- At the end of the ramp, turn left onto Market Street
- Turn left onto Route 130 south
- At the traffic circle follow signs for Creek Road and take the fourth exit for Route 130 north
- Keep right and turn onto Old Salem Road
- Turn left onto Creek Road
Creek Road eastbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on Route 47 northbound wishing to turn right onto Creek Road eastbound will be instructed to continue into the traffic circle
- Take the first exit onto Route 130 northbound
- Turn right onto W Browning Road back to Creek Road
The $180 million federally-funded project will build new ramps connecting Route 42 northbound to I-295 southbound, and I-295 northbound to Route 42 southbound in order to allow for the direct movement of traffic between the two roadways. These are commonly known as the “missing moves.” The project will also include the demolition and reconstruction of the Creek Road Bridge over I-295 between Route 42 and Almonesson Road. This phase of the project will begin overnight tonight and continue throughout this week. The majority of the project will be built off of the roadways and will have minimal impact on traffic on Route 42 and I-295. The project is expected to be completed in late 2023.
Variable messaging signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. NJDOT will provide information before any lane closures are scheduled.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for construction updates and real-time travel information.