2020 has been the most challenging year that most of us have ever witnessed. Many have experienced tragedy and hardship due to the pandemic and its impact on our communities, but amidst it all, we worked together to support our neighbors in need.
I want to provide you with an update on what we accomplished this year, and as we look ahead to 2021, please remember that we are all in this together.
Since March, we have fought tirelessly against COVID-19. I thank all of our frontline and essential workers who have been saving lives and keeping our country running.
In South Jersey alone, we have secured more than $101.2 million in relief for Camden, Gloucester and Burlington counties. Moving forward, I will continue pushing for relief and negotiating for additional resources for families and workers.
In March, we passed the CARES Act, which included:
- COVID testing, treatment and tracing;
- Emergency sick leave and paid family leave;
- Small business Paycheck Protection Program;
- Increased support for food and housing assistance;
- $1,200 Economic Impact Payments for majority of NJ residents, plus additional $500 per child;
- Additional $600 per week in enhanced unemployment; and
- $695 million for education in NJ.
Last Monday, we passed a $900 billion federal relief package to help Americans respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, which includes:
- Additional round of direct assistance of up to $600 for individuals;
- Enhanced unemployment benefits for impacted workers;
- Relief for small businesses;
- Accelerated vaccine distribution;
- Nutrition assistance for hungry families;
- Paid sick leave; and
- Funding for education and child care.
Standing Up for Working Families
- Implemented health and safety standards to protect all NJ workers, employers and customers from COVID-19 in the workplace with Governor Phil Murphy.
- Ensured child care providers received the resources needed to safely reopen and ensure access to child care for our essential workers.
- Secured $630 million contract for the Philly Shipyard, generating jobs for over a thousand skilled workers.
- Passed a major infrastructure plan, the Moving Forward Act, to create millions of jobs, improve our roads and bridges, and invest in clean technologies.
- Founded the Labor Caucus to give unions and working people a voice in Congress again.
- Lowered health care costs, negotiated for fairer drug prices and strengthened protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
- Supplied resources to increase COVID-19 testing and tracing and funding vaccine development.
- Championed the National Apprenticeship Act, which invests $3.5 billion to create nearly one million new apprenticeship opportunities over the next five years.
- Passed a $130 billion investment in school infrastructure, ensuring the health and safety of students and educators and creating over 2 million new jobs.
National Defense & Security:
- Expanded access to child care for military families, ensured that veterans have access to affordable, quality healthcare and supported research projects at New Jersey colleges.
- ‘Introduced the Nonprofit Security Expansion Act to increase security resources at community organizations.
Here to Serve You
The team in my office has worked hard throughout the year to serve the people of South Jersey and we’re grateful to have assisted thousands of our fellow residents.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out at 856-427-7000, or email email@example.com. We are always ready to work on your behalf, and together, we will continue to get through this unprecedented time.
Member of Congress