(Lindenwold, NJ) – Freeholder Susan Shin Angulo, liaison to the Camden County Department of Public Works, has been informed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) that it will close a stretch of I-295 northbound tonight for repaving. The closure is part of NJDOT’s Direct Connection project, which is now advancing into Camden and Gloucester Counties.
Beginning at 10 p.m. on Friday, July 12, until 8 a.m. Saturday, July 13, crews will close I-295 northbound beginning just past Exit 25 – Delsea Drive through just past Exit 28 – Route 168/Black Horse Pike. At least one lane will be maintained at all times.
“Motorists driving through the area can expect more traffic than usual, sudden stops and possible congestion while the project is underway,” Shin Angulo said. “Even during overnight hours, this part of the interstate is heavily trafficked by motorists. Make sure to give yourself extra time if your route takes you through this area and be sure to plan for the detour accordingly. As always, be extra mindful of shifting traffic patterns when utilizing unfamiliar roadways as part of the posted detour.”
In addition, three ramps will be closed: I-76 eastbound to I-295 northbound; I-295 northbound Exit 28 – Route 168/Black Horse Pike; and the Route 168/Black Horse Pike southbound ramp to I-295 northbound.
The following detour will be in effect:
I-76 eastbound to I-295 northbound detour:
- Motorists traveling on I-76 eastbound wishing to take the ramp to I-295 northbound will be directed to continue on I-76 eastbound
- Stay to the left and take Exit 1A to I-295 southbound
- Take I-295 southbound to Exit 24B/CR551 Westville/Woodbury Heights
- Turn left at the end of the ramp onto Broadway
- Go under I-295 and turn left onto the ramp for I-295 northbound
I-295 northbound Exit 28 – Route 168/Black Horse Pike detour
- Motorists traveling on I-295 northbound wishing to take Exit 28 – Route 168/Black Horse Pike will be directed to continue on I-295 northbound
- Take Exit 32
- Stay left and turn left onto Haddonfield-Berlin Road
- Take the ramp to I-295 southbound
- Take Exit 28 – Route 168/Black Horse Pike
Route 168/Black Horse Pike southbound ramp to I-295 northbound detour
- Motorists traveling on Route 168/Black Horse Pike southbound wishing to take the ramp to I-295 northbound be directed to continue on Route 168/Black Horse Pike southbound
- Turn left onto Browning Road
- Turn left onto Route 30
- Turn right on Copley Road to I-295 northbound
The work is part of the $900 million Direct Connection project that will provide a seamless route for I-295 motorists traveling through the interchange of I-295, I-76, and Route 42. The Direct Connection project has been divided into four construction contracts, with completion expected in the fall of 2024. NJDOT’s project website provides construction activity schedules and updates.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info or on the NJDOT Facebook page.