(Voorhees, NJ) – The Camden County Library System is offering free tax return assistance for senior citizens living in the county. The Board of Commissioners is bringing back this annual program that is critical for thousands of seniors to file their taxes.
“It can be challenging to prepare an income tax return, especially when you have specific questions or concerns,” said Commissioner Melinda Kane, liaison to the Camden County Library System. “So, it’s imperative that we give seniors access to professionals who can guide them through the process and will give them the assurance they need to file their returns with confidence this year.”
Assistance is offered through drop-off services by appointment only.
Free tax help is being made available from AARP at the following branches of the Camden County Library System from Feb. 14 to April 15:
- South County Regional Branch: Mondays and Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Voorhees Township, M. Allan Vogelson Branch: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Haddon Township, William G. Rohrer Branch: Tuesdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Gloucester Township-Blackwood Rotary Branch: Fridays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
To make an appointment, go to taxaide.aarpfoundation.org. For more information call (888) 687-2277.
VITA tax preparation through The Campaign for Working Families (CWF): There are no more intake appointments available at the Voorhees or Nilsa Cruz-Perez Downtown branches. For questions regarding the tax filing you have already begun with VITA (CWF) please contact: Mary Arthur at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about CWF call 215-454-6643 or visit cwfphilly.org
For both services, the taxpayer will bring documentation to their appointment, will briefly speak with a volunteer and then:
- AARP: The taxpayer is given a return appointment later the same day to pick up their completed tax documents.
- CWF/VITA: The taxpayer is contacted within 2 weeks to prepare taxes by phone and gets completed documents by email.
Those seeking assistance should bring:
- Social Security card or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) for you, your children, and/or your spouse
- All W2 forms, all 1099 forms, such as 1099G (unemployment) and 1099R (pension payments)
- All 1098T forms (tuition payments) and receipts for materials and books, and 1098-E for total student loan interest paid
- Total child care expenses and name, address, Employer Identification Number (EIN) or SSN of child care provider(s)
- Total rent paid
- Any mail from the IRS
- Your bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- If possible, a copy of your previous Federal and/or New Jersey Tax
Federal tax instruction booklets and forms will be available through curbside pickup once the library receives these materials.
The Camden County Library System also offers mobile hotspots for checkout. More information can be found on camdencountylibrary.org/hotspot
The library system also offers no-contact pickup of printouts at all branches. More information can be found on camdencountylibrary.org/printing
Please be aware library staff cannot answer tax-related questions.
“This service is not only popular, but it’s a great tool for seniors throughout Camden County,” Kane said. “This is yet another example of how the Camden County Library System is working to meet the needs of our residents here in the region. From tax help to literacy classes, our online high school and beyond, we are committed to providing adequate resources to the community that extend past the traditional uses that come to mind with a library.”
Federal Tax Information:
- Federal Tax Forms can be found on the IRS website www.irs.gov/forms-instructions
- Main IRS phone number: 800-829-1040. You can call this number to have forms mailed to
- The local IRS office is in Cherry Hill, NJ. Assistance is by appointment only – to make an
appointment, call 844-545-5640. You must wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Their hours are 8:30-4:30 (closed from 1-2). 51 Haddonfield Road, Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 856-321-1328
New Jersey State Tax Information:
- File your return online: www.njportal.com/Taxation/NJ1040/
- NJ Tax Forms: www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/forms/index.shtml
- NJ Division of Taxation: 609-292-6400 or 800-323-4400
For more information, please visit www.camdencountylibrary.org