Freeholders Award Historic Preservation Grants

Share this:

Disculpa, pero esta entrada está disponible sólo en Inglés Estadounidense. For the sake of viewer convenience, the content is shown below in the alternative language. You may click the link to switch the active language.

(Cherry Hill, NJ) – The Camden County Freeholder Board has approved the recommendations of the Open Space, Recreation, Farmland and Historical Preservation Trust Fund Advisory Committee to award the 2017 Historic Preservation Grants.  This year’s recipients range from the restoration of a 200-year-old stone bridge in Cherry Hill to a museum dedicated to Camden’s maritime past.

“A total of eight projects will benefit from this $315,000 investment from the Camden County Open Space, Recreation, Farmland and Historical Preservation Trust Fund,” said Freeholder Jeffrey L. Nash, liaison to the county’s Open Space Preservation Trust Fund Advisory Committee. “These historic structures not only tell the story of Camden County, they continue to serve the community as museums and cultural destinations.”

In 1998, the residents of Camden County voted overwhelmingly in support of a referendum to create the Camden County Open Space, Recreation, Farmland and Historical Preservation Trust Fund, to be used to acquire, preserve and maintain environmentally sensitive lands, open space, drinking water sources, historic sites, recreation areas and farmland within Camden County.

2017 Grant Recipients

Bonnie’s Bridge, Cherry Hill Township
$50,000 for stone and concreate restoration at the pre-1795 bridge listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Camden County History Alliance, County-wide
$10,000 for the installation of signs at historically significant locations across the county

Camden Shipyard and Maritime Museum, Camden City
$35,000 for exterior repairs and installation of a handicapped ramp at the museum dedicated to the port of Camden and its shipbuilding past

Castle on the Hill Sculpture Park, Camden City
$20,000 for the creation of a park featuring the architecture of Camden High School

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Camden City
$50,000 for the repointing of the stonework at the historic church constructed in 1866

James T. Dill House, Berlin Borough
$50,000 to stabilize the masonry and secure the exterior of the home built in 1856

John Lucas Homestead, Gibbsboro
$50,000 to continue restoration on the 19
th Century home of the Lucas Paint Company founder

Robert Marshall House, Gloucester Township
$50,000 towards the restoration of the circa 1720 Federal style home of the Chew, Wainwright and Marshall families